“… We can have a real swell time….” Anyone else singing songs from The Parent Trap yet? Seriously, though, we here at Redeemed Reader love to “get together” with our readers whenever possible. We love connecting with you and have benefited so much from your comment contributions here on the blog as well as on [...]
Looking for a fun and educational way to spice up the summer for your family? Here’s an idea: how about our summer reading challenge? We actually have two summer reading tracks–one we’ll announce soon for teens and adults (stay tuned for that), and the one we’re announcing today–a family-based challenge! Who, What, and When? [...]
Have you ever received a handmade tissue-paper poppy in exchange for a donation to the American Legion outside of a store on Memorial or Veteran’s Day? Have you ever stopped to wonder, “Where did that practice come from?” The Poppy Lady: Moina Belle Michael and Her Tribute to Veterans, by Barbara Elizabeth Walsh, paintings by [...]
We have some big plans for the summer, which Emily will share tomorrow. For today, here are some great picture books that tie in with some of the themes we’re going to explore. Such as TRAVEL The Not-for-Parents Travel Book, Lonely Planet Publications, 2011, 207 pages. Age/interest level: 6-up. Australians are probably the greatest travelers [...]
A Balanced “Book Diet” Reading is like eating: you need a variety of wholesome ingredients, a little sugar, and a little moderation across the board. Sometimes you need to chew on a steak (mull over a “deep” text), and sometimes you just need some brain candy. Most of the time, though, you need a well-balanced [...]
In 1868, after a grueling Civil War that defined America (by almost destroying it), the novelist and critic John DeForest wrote a piece for The Nation magazine titled, “The Great American Novel.” Surveying the literary field of the time, he could find no likely candidate for such a title. Washington Irving was too cautious, James [...]
Today, I’m happy to welcome our current intern, Hayley Schoeppler, again. You guys may recall that she did a review of Mara, Daughter of the Nile for us in March. Today, she takes a look at Hattie Ever After for us. Hattie Ever After, Kirby Larson. Delacorte Books for Young Readers, 2013. 240 pgs. Ages [...]
If you are a high school or college student, love literature and movies, and would like to impact the world for Christ, then we’re looking for you. Redeemedreader is putting together a reading program for kids for the summer, and this fall, we’ll be covering book-to-movie stories like the Hunger Games and Ender’s Game, all [...]
Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site (see our review here) hurled Sherri Rinker’s star into the picture-book firmament. Accepted by the first publisher she submitted it to, the cheerful tale of five construction vehicles settling down for the night went on to become one of the top-selling picture books of 2011. Now the same talented team (Sherri [...]
News Booklists, a Summer Reading Challenge, and one of the funniest interviewees I’ve ever met…all coming up soon on Redeemedreader! But for now, here are some of our favorite links this week. Freebies Spring Cleaning Paperback Book Giveaway: I can’t vouch for all these titles, but several are worth having, including Pibbin the Small for [...]
For a parent, there’s nothing scarier than sending a high school graduate out into the world—and in fact, the world looks pretty scary these days. Not to mention confusing, even in matters that used to be taken for granted. Up until about ten years ago, for instance, it was a given that high-school grads eyeing [...]
Subscribe / Connect
- Around the World in 60 Days: Summer Reading Challenge for Kids May 23, 2013
- Sorting Out the Children’s Bible Market April 3, 2013
- Toddling into the Word: First Bible Storybooks and Early-Reader Bibles March 26, 2013
- Summer Fun: Interns Needed May 15, 2013
- Tricksters and Fools April 1, 2013
- Friday’s Favorite Five–Consumer Edition | Hope Is the Word: [...] I’m thinking that this summer readin...
- Marya: Looking forward to this!...
- Nancy C: This sounds great. We look forward to joining in....
- Debra: Oh, this looks fun! We're in. We recently read ...
- Kim: Emily, we live in a rural area so the lemonade sta...
- Friday’s Favorite Five–Consumer Edition | Hope Is the Word on Around the World in 60 Days: Summer Reading Challenge for Kids
- Marya on Around the World in 60 Days: Summer Reading Challenge for Kids
- Nancy C on Around the World in 60 Days: Summer Reading Challenge for Kids
- Debra on Around the World in 60 Days: Summer Reading Challenge for Kids
- Kim on Around the World in 60 Days: Summer Reading Challenge for Kids