Reading Challenge, Week One

I’ll go ahead and admit it.  Janie and I really aren’t fully prepared for this post.  We birthed the Reading Challenge idea roughly two weeks ago, when it popped into my head while I was doing housework one day.  My youngest daughter had been begging me to make her own picture Bible, and I thought, why not try it?  Janie immediately latched on to the idea and made it her own, and since then we’ve been scrambling to prepare.  And though we’ve worked VERY hard to make it work, we still have a lot of catching up to do.  For instance, we still haven’t found an illustrator to help with the story Bible illustrations and coloring page.

The good news, though, is that any time spent with your kids in God’s Word is profitable.  Whether Janie and I have our ducks adequately in a row or not, God promises that “wherever two or three are gathered in my name, there will I be also.”  So, with that in mind, we’re forging ahead.  We hope you’ll find some benefit in the reading selections and extras we’ve provided–and we definitely hope they will improve over the next few weeks.  (We’re very open to feedback, too, by the way!  We have no editors or publishers on staff….)  But most of all, we’re praying that God would meet you and your children through His Word through this reading challenge.  And if He does, to Him be all the glory.

Reading Challenge .pdf DOWNLOAD: Ages 4-8, Week One

Reading Challenge .pdf DOWNLOAD: Ages 9-12, Week One

I’m not sure if you guys would use this or not, but a while back my girls and I recorded this memory verse.  So, I’ve attached it below in case you’d prefer to sing it instead of say it.

To sign up to receive weekly emails pertaining to this year-long Bible study for parents and kids, just leave a note either in the comments below or in our original post.  For Janie’s introduction to the reading challenge, see here

For more ways to bring Christian truth off the printed page, see our Pilgrim’s Progress Mission Adventure, which includes our recommendation of a kids book and a reading guide with games, memory verses, etc. to help you make the most of it.  (We’ll be finishing that and putting it in a download asap!)

COMMENTS

9 Responses to Reading Challenge, Week One

1. Emily April 28, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

Jen, Thanks! We’re so glad to have you along! (Let us know if there is anything we could do to make it better….)

2. Jenn Utecht April 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

This is a great study! Looking forward to using it with my littles …

Thanks!

3. emily January 17, 2012 at 8:54 pm #

Sure thing, Megan! Glad to have you.

4. Megan January 17, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

Could I jump in?
    Thanks!
    mesaben@juno.com

5. emily January 10, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Julie. We’ll be happy to sign you up.

6. Julie January 10, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

I’d like to sign up for e-mails related to the Bible Study Challenge! Thanks for all you guys do. The first week looks great! I can’t wait to see the weeks to come!

7. emily January 9, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

Thanks so much, Jess, for all your thoughtfulness. I’ll see if I can’t work some of those verses in next week. You’re right–they are very apropos.

8. Jess January 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm #

I went through these last night so I could prepare and maybe adjust it for my brothers. I love what I read. I’m so excited to do this with them! I also had a couple of things to add that I remembered or found while I was reading recently… They tie in well, I think.

2 Timothy 3:16-17: “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.”

Isaiah 40:8: “The grass withereth, the flower fadeth, but the word of our God shall stand forever.”

John 1:1-14 (too long to copy here!).

1 Peter 1:20-21: “[Christ], who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory, that your faith and hope might be in God.”

I just thought those might be useful in explaining that the Bible is God’s Word, “and the word was God,” and also 1 Peter 1:20-21 as a help to answer Janie’s question, “Did God know that sin was going to come into the world? Why do you think he went ahead with creation?”

Anyway, I think I’M learning more than my brothers will! Thanks so much for refreshing my zeal for the Scripture. This is awesome. :-)

9. Kim January 8, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

I’d like to sign up for the weekly emails for the Bible study challenge. Thank you!