Hobbit Read Along!

This is just a quick note to say, we’re doing lots of behind the scenes work these days to prepare for a November read along of The Hobbit.  If you’re thinking of reading it, maybe with the kids (?), before the December release of Peter Jackson’s big screen version of The Hobbit,  we hope you’ll make plans to join us starting in November.   It will be a family friendly read along with commentary from various Christian authors, illustrators and down-to-earth literary critics.   More details coming soon, so mark your calendars and tell your friends!

, , ,

9 Responses to Hobbit Read Along!

1. Megan October 3, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, we are definitely fans of Freddy the Pig (my husband introduced them to me before we got married), and maybe I will propose reading The Hobbit in November. Right now we’re reading Mr. Popper’s Penguins, and my son is eager to read Dangerous Journey again. Thanks again!

2. Emily October 1, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

What a great idea! Starts the first full week of November….

3. Beth October 1, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

I am thinking about using a Hobbit bookclub as an outreach for our college students at church (the age group that I work most closely with). Can you tell me when you will start your read-along?

4. Emily September 30, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

Thanks, Becky! Very glad to have you anytime. : )

5. Becky@Daily On My Way To Heaven September 29, 2012 at 9:01 am #

Emily, I recently found your blog and I am so glad I did. Great stuff!

I will be visiting often. :)

6. Hayley September 24, 2012 at 9:10 am #

Emily, I’ll be looking forward to the Hobbit Read Along! And Megan, have you heard of the Freddy the Pig series by Walter R. Brooks? That is a great read aloud series, and it sounds like you have the perfect age! Freddy is a pig, and he’s also a detective. The books detail his adventures along with those of the other Bean farm animals. They’re a delight to read, have a great vocabulary, and I think you’ll enjoy them as much as your children!

7. Emily September 22, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

Melinda, I whole-heartedly agree! And Megan, you should definitely do the Hobbit with us. We just read it to my six and four year olds, and they loved it. Well, to be perfectly honest, they got a little bored at the very end after the dragon’s part, but they loved the first few weeks of reading it as a family. Maybe you could find something to read in the meantime…like Dangerous Journey or Stuart Little or the original Boxcar kids?

Anybody else have a suggestion for Megan?

8. Megan September 22, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

My oldest is 5 1/2 and we’re ready to start a new read-aloud at bedtime. Should we wait on The Hobbit? Thoughts?

9. Melinda September 22, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

How exciting! I have been wanting to reread “The Hobbit” before the movie is released; it will be much more fun to read along rather than doing it on my own.