Podcast 20: Sally Lloyd Jones on Kids’ Devotionals

The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd Jones is a staple among Christian parents these days who want to help introduce kids to the Bible in a way that focuses on Christ.  Not only is it theologically rich, but the illustrations by Jago are enticing for both children and adults, combining reverence, tenderness and even humor.

If you appreciate great kids’ literature–whether as a parent, grandparent, or literature-lover–we have a special treat for you today.  Sallys new kids’ book with Jago, Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing, just came out, and Janie and I had the opportunity to talk to her about it last week.

In the interview, she describes what makes this new book special, and how she tries to write books that little ones will enjoy reading more than chewing.  (I have to confess, my favorite part of the interview was when a buzzer went off in her apartment and the surprise and chagrin that followed.  I know I should have cut it, but I just found it so endearing.)

So, hope you guys enjoy meeting Sally!  Oh, did I mention she has a lovely British accent?  And that we asked her to read one of the stories or meditations of the new book?  That’s worth the listen in itself!

Watch for our review of Sally’s new book later in the week.  And if you’ve got more time on your hands, you might want to check out our summer post on Christian Books for Burgeoning Readers, Janie’s review of the popular Brick Bible for kids, and a list of our favorite Bible-related gifts for kids.  If you want to deeper into the content of Sally’s Jesus Storybook Bible, check out my series on Christ in Literature.

Giveaway

We couldn’t talk about such a wonderful resource without giving one away.  Tell us what you like about Sally’s work, or perhaps what you think your kids would enjoy about her new book.  At the end of the week, we’ll send one of you guys a hardback copy for your very own!

, , ,

14 Responses to Podcast 20: Sally Lloyd Jones on Kids’ Devotionals

1. Sarah October 18, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

I love that she includes so many key stories from the Bible in her storybook, some skip them, and her stories are understandable!

2. Sarah October 18, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

I love how Sally points all bible stories back to Christ, and helps us remember the bible is not about us but rather what He has done for us.

3. Deanna October 18, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

My 18 month old loves the pictures in her books! And I love the words! She’s done an excellent job and I can’t wait to read the next one!

4. Marijo Taverne October 18, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

My children like singing. I’m sure they’d like a book about making the heart sing.

5. Brian October 17, 2012 at 10:21 pm #

We just listened to “God’s Messenger” from the Jesus Storybook Bible tonight. (By the way, the recorded “Deluxe” version is great and well worth it!) I love how she makes insightful connections about God’s truth through great storytelling. Certainly I get as much out of each story as my son does.

6. Adam Pohlman October 17, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

My wife and I heard Sally speak a couple weeks ago at the Desiring God conference. We love that she puts such special care into her works because she has such a high view of children. She doesn’t want to demean them with dumbed down stories and she doesn’t insult them with trite lessons. Her desire is to truly understand what children care about and relate to them with a well-thought story.

We’d love to get all of her books to share with our children, and we’d love to have recordings of her reading them all because she does it with such genuine emotion.

7. Tonya Roth October 17, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

I am so excited to read The Jesus Bible Storybook to my youngest sons at night. I like how the author directs each story to the Rescuer, whether in the O.T.or the N.T. In doing so, I understand the Bible better myself. She makes the need for grace seem apparent. And because she writes in such a conversational way, children are interested and engaged.

8. Marlo October 17, 2012 at 11:39 am #

My husband reads the Jesus Bible Storybook to our 3 year-old as bedtime reading each night. I love the fresh language and the message of finding Christ all throughout God’s Word in a way that kids understand, but I also love it for me. I remember my delight at discovering Christ throughout the Old Testament — the beauty of the Lamb slain from the creation of the world. But even though I was raised in the church, I didn’t make that discovery until I was an adult. The OT and NT seemed disconected somehow. I absolutely love that Sally made the effort to communicate to even small children God’s incredible love through his amazing plan from the very beginning.

Now, if only she would come read to me in her lovely British accent! :)

9. Amie October 17, 2012 at 10:25 am #

My children listen and listen to the audio of the Jesus Storybook with David Suchet. I love that her work is so consice and pointed and Gospel driven. My husband and I now call Pharisees “super righteous holy people” and are cut to the heart by her description. My five year old son asked for this volume first thing this morning and then found a page he knows by heart from audio and tried to sound out the words. Sally Lloyd Jones’ work is a lovely aroma of Jesus throughout our family!

10. Sylvia October 17, 2012 at 9:45 am #

Thanks so much for the interview! The book sounds intriguing. I sense another purchase for my grandchildren ;-)

11. Melissa October 17, 2012 at 8:53 am #

Thank you for this information. I’m always on the look out for a new devotion book
    for my daughter. She will really enjoy listening to this podcast as she wishes she
    was british and tries to talk with the accent!

12. Glenda Mathes October 17, 2012 at 8:51 am #

Sally’s focus on Christ in both the Old and New Testaments is what I love about her Jesus Storybook Bible, which is engaging enough to hold the interest of even my two-year-old grandson. Thanks for interviewing her, Emily and Janie!

13. Karen McKelroy October 16, 2012 at 1:10 pm #

“The Bible is not about you, but what God has (already) done” best quote to remember at any age!

14. Elizabeth October 16, 2012 at 10:59 am #

I love Sally’s focus on sharing the Gospel message with kids. She doesn’t water down the message and communicates that we are all sinners in need of the Savior, Jesus Christ. I’m also grateful for Sally’s gift of writing. She doesn’t merely give the facts but retells the stories in an engaging, poetic manner. I haven’t seen her new book yet. I hope it is as well done as the last one! :)