Help Choose Our 2014 Summer Reading Books!

***We aren’t taking any more suggestions at this time, but you can see who voted for which book in our summer reading pick poll.***

Hey all!  I know many of you are winding down your school year and beginning to think summer thoughts.  We are too!  Behind the scenes, we’ve been planning our 2014 Summer Reading Challenge.  So far, we have four books on our list (mum’s the word for now), but we need one more.   We thought it would be fun to turn that pick over to you.

The theme is time travel, so we’re looking for a book aimed at 9-12 year olds that deals with some sort of time travel and is family friendly.  Other than that, just use your imagination!  Next week, we’ll announce the four titles we’ve already decided on, as well as provide a poll for you to choose between some of the most popular suggestions over the weekend and a few we’ve come up with.

So, what book would you like to see your kids read this summer?  Can’t wait to hear your suggestions!

7 Responses to Help Choose Our 2014 Summer Reading Books!

1. Tim Sheppard May 18, 2014 at 12:58 pm #

How about Nick of Time, by Ted Bell. I really enjoyed the war history interspersed throughout.

2. Emily May 17, 2014 at 5:22 pm #

Oh, great suggestions, all! I’m not looking forward to narrowing this down on Monday….

3. Sherry Early May 17, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

Edward Eager–Knight’s Castle, Half Magic, Seven-Day Magic
    Margaret Peterson Haddix’s Missing series http://www.semicolonblog.com/?p=19139

4. Becky May 17, 2014 at 9:43 am #

If you’re looking for a classic, I recently discovered E. Nesbit’s House of Arden which has a definite time travel theme!

Also I know that Candice Ransom has a time travel series for children. I’ve only read the first few books though. The first one is Secret in the Tower.

And then there’s Margaret Peterson Haddix’s MISSING series. Found is the first one in that series. (The second one, Sent, is probably my favorite!)

5. Cathy May 16, 2014 at 6:44 pm #

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court!
    A Wrinkle in Time!

Something by Scieszka? Just for fun. The Time Warp Trio are very snarky though….

6. Cathy May 16, 2014 at 6:33 pm #

The Sword in the Stone? Merlin is a time traveler of sorts.
    One of Susan Cooper’s The Dark Is Rising Series? The Grey King?
    Lloyd Alexander’s Time Cat?

Narnia is too obvious, I suppose? ;)

7. Kim May 16, 2014 at 5:42 pm #

Inkheart? It’s not exactly time travel, but kind of like it.