From Emily: As my kids are solidly in the middle of Medieval History in our home schooling, they haven’t had many opportunities to hear the the words, “Cold War.” But with the events unfolding over the past week in Ukraine, I have had to fill them in somewhat on the history of Russian’s communist history […]
Are you one of those moms (or possibly, dads) who buys old Baby Einstein videos and early reader flashcards? Maybe there aren’t too many of those parents any more, and just as well. Because guess what? You Can’t Teach Your Baby to Read. And here’s proof. But . . . you can now give […]
When we started Redeemed Reader a few yeas ago, one of our first friends was Douglas Bond: teacher, musicologist, and novelist. We’ve interviewed him several times, by email and podcast, but just a few months ago, we started getting wind of a very exciting project in the works: a movie version of one of his […]
This isn’t exactly a new feature, but we’re carrying on the fine tradition of Emily’s “Web Newberys,” begun a year and a half ago—a column that evolved into “Freebies and Cheapies” and then disappeared. But we’re always on the lookout for book news and facts and oddities—as well as freebies—and we need a place to […]
Welcome to the New Year at Redeemedreader! We’ve done a lot of interviews since our founding in 2011, so we thought we’d pull your favorites together today. We’ve gained a lot of new readers recently, so instead of only looking at this year’s best interviews, I’ve drawn these from our entire archives. Happy reading! Top 10 […]
Merry Christmas! Over the next few days, we’ll be doing some lists of fan favorites, with lists of our favorite books, interviews, etc. over the years. I thought for today’s post, though, we would look back at some of our readers’ favorite Christ-centered posts on Redeemedreader. Hopefully you’ll find some new posts and a few […]
As we celebrate my firstborn’s seventh birthday soon, my husband and I are looking forward to introducing our children to C.S. Lewis’s Chronicles of Narnia. We have four choices: the movies, radio theatre, audiobook or traditional words on paper. One family rule I inherited from my mother is that you can’t watch the movie until […]
To listen to our a read along with real teens or find discussion questions about Ender’s Game, please see our Ender’s Game Read Along. Also, to read the stories in our contest, see our Short Story Finalists post. Sci-fi Contest Winner Back when I was in high school, my short story contest submissions were read […]
New to Redeemedreader? Sign up for our biweekly newsletter on our homepage! You can also like us on Facebook or follow along on Twitter to keep up with our book recommendations for kids and teens. To see who won the Writing Contest, CLICK HERE. INTRODUCTION Back in October, we invited teens to participate in a Sci-fi Writing Contest as part of our Ender’s […]
The earth is the LORD’s and all its fullness, the world and those who dwell therein. What does Psalm 24:1 have to do with children’s literature and picture books? Everything–it’s all His! This truth applies to literature as much as to any aspect of our lives, and we have the privilege of making discerning, redemptive reading with […]
It’s picture book month! And boy, do we have a lot of picture books to talk about. I keep hearing that the pb market is declining, and that may be, but new titles keep flowing through book stores, swirling around the bedrock classics like Good Night Moon and Where the Wild Things Are. We have […]
Subscribe / Connect
- The Spiritual World of The Hobbit + Giveaway January 23, 2014
- Nurturing a young reader’s literary tastes January 9, 2014
- Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway) March 5, 2014
- Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1 March 7, 2014
- ALA Midwinter Conference Reflections January 30, 2014
- Megan: Thank you for making the crisis personal and remin...
- Betsy: Thanks for this, Hayley! We have a good friend who...
- Hayley S.: Thank you so much for your kind comment, Miriam! ...
- Miriam Tucker: I recently attended a wedding at our church in Lou...
- DL: Ever since the Summer Reading Program, my kids hav...
- Megan on Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1
- Betsy on Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1
- Hayley S. on Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1
- Miriam Tucker on Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1
- DL on Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway)