There didn’t used to be a Presidents Day; instead, Americans observed Lincoln (Feb. 12) and Washington (Feb. 22) separately. But since those two had thoughtfully arranged to be born in the same month, and achieve the rank of Best President, and we didn’t want to slight the other 42 (I guess)—why not just slide them […]
The Animal Book: a Collection of the Fastest, Fiercest, Toughest, Cleverest, Shyest—and Most Surprising—Animals on Earth, by Steve Jenkins. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2013, 208 pages. Age/interest level: 6-up. Steve Jenkins has made a name for himself writing about specified corners of the animal kingdom (see our review of The Beetle Book) and illustrating them with […]
Maps, by Eleksandra Mizielinska and Daniel Mizielinski. Candlewick, 2013, 107 pages. Age/interest level: 4-up You like maps? We’ve got maps! After a view of the whole world, followed by a political map of Europe, the fun begins: big, double-page spreads of each country, lavishly illustrated with folk-arty, idiosyncratic icons of flora, fauna, geographical features, local […]
It’s nonfiction week at Redeemed Reader—or not entirely, but we’ve got a lot of nonfiction titles to review, including a quick trip around the world and a delve into scientific inquiry for the picture-book set. Today we take a trip back in time—way back—to the ancient Egyptians and the slightly-less-ancient Romans. Treasury of Egyptian Mythology: […]
(Giveaway is now closed) The ever-increasing popularity of Middle Earth has brought a profusion of books written about both J. R.R. Tolkien and his created world. The recent Hobbit movies have focused this popularity on Tolkien’s prequel to The Lord of the Rings. Those who love to read about the unexpected journey of Bilbo Baggins […]
Parents with avid readers often find themselves with a dilemma: after my child has read all the age-appropriate books, where do we go from here? Progression to the next reading level adds to the scramble at the bookstore or library. What author should I try next? How can I get my child interested in a […]
C. S. Lewis at War: The Dramatic Story Behind Mere Christianity (Radio Theatre) by C.S. Lewis and Paul McCusker. Tyndale Entertainment, 2013. Ages 12 and up. It’s last minute stocking stuffer time at my house! But even if you aren’t frantically looking for one last gift, this is an audiobook I think many of you […]
I live in a fairly mild climate. Hardly has the first frost melted when cashiers and postal employees start saying, “I’m ready for spring.” Come on, people! It’s not like we have to chop our own wood and stoke our own leaky furnaces any more. I like winter (within reason)—it gives land and trees a […]
Truth in the Tinsel Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I suppose the Christmas race has officially begun now, and with that in mind, I wanted to share with you an advent devotional my kids and I will be doing this year. I know that there are many worthy Advent studies. (For instance, I […]
Most kids enjoy comics or their upscale cousins, graphic novels. Of those who enjoy them, many will decide they want to create them. Does your son draw aliens and superheroes in his spare time? Does your daughter block out stories in panels? He or she might appreciate a little direction and a few pointers in […]
Fifty years ago a president was violently assassinated. John F. Kennedy’s place in history is mostly emblematic: baby-boomers remember his ease and charm and clever repartee with the White House press corps; they remember the breath of fresh air that blew through the White House as Jackie embarked on her restoration project. Most of all, […]
Subscribe / Connect
- The Spiritual World of The Hobbit + Giveaway January 23, 2014
- Nurturing a young reader’s literary tastes January 9, 2014
- Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway) March 5, 2014
- Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1 March 7, 2014
- ALA Midwinter Conference Reflections January 30, 2014
- Betsy: Exactly, John! That's a good description of the F...
- Janie: Heather: I can't explain the wording choices for ...
- John Holm: My 7-year old son has read many of the books on th...
- Marijo Taverne: Thanks for this list! Some of these books I've he...
- Shannon: Time Warp Trio :) the "I survived" series. And G...
- Betsy on Librarians’ List: Easy/Leveled Readers, part 1
- Janie on Sorting Out the Children’s Bible Market
- John Holm on Librarians’ List: Easy/Leveled Readers, part 1
- Marijo Taverne on Librarians’ List: Easy/Leveled Readers, part 1
- Shannon on Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway)