Other Summer Reading Challenge posts: Introduction, Week One: 1) Kids, 2) Teens, 3) Devotional. Week Two: 1) Kids, 2) Teens, 3) Devotional. Week Three: off Week Four: 1) Kids. 2) Teens, 3) Devotional. Week Five: 1) Kids, 2) Teens, 3) Devotional. Welcome to Week 5! Okay, guys, we’ve made it to our final books for this […]
Other Summer Reading Challenge posts: Introduction, Week One: 1) Kids, 2) Teens, 3) Devotional. Week Two: 1) Kids, 2) Teens, 3) Devotional. Week Three: off Week Four: 1) Kids. 2) Teens, 3) Devotional. THE DISCUSSION In our dicussion today, we have 1) Gina Dalfonzo, editor of Breakpoint Youth Reads, 2) Hayley Schoeppler, RR’s executive assistant […]
It’s officially an off-week here at Redeemedreader. But we’ve put together one “extra” post for your holiday weekend: a review of The Story of Owen: Dragon Slayer of Trondhiem. As you’ll recall, we originally chose Owen for our Summer Reading Challenge. But after giving it extra scrutiny, we realized it was not the book we […]
Every now and then, those of us who avidly read children’s literature with and for the children in our lives need a little break. We need a book that is more sophisticated, more layered, and, well, more grown-up. In keeping with our time travel theme this summer, let me offer up a suggestion for you […]
It began with a simple conversation, Marie Rutkoski explains: . . . while sitting with my friend Vasiliki Skreta on a dark blue gym mat in the children’s playroom of our apartment building. Vasiliki is an economist, and we were discussing auctions. She mentioned the concept of the “winner’s curse.” Quite simply, it describes how […]
If you have a high school or college graduate, you’re thinking about how fast time flies and how bittersweet the occasion of this very special young adult stretching his or her wings and flying out into the world. We think of all the things we should have told them and all the time that might […]
Reclaiming the Christian Intellectual Tradition series, by various authors. Crossway, 2012-2016, 110-140 pages each. Age/interest level: 16-up. This fall, bright, committed Christian students will pack their Bibles and drive blissfully away to secular college campuses. They know their Bible, but if they don’t know how to relate the Bible and Christian thought to the subjects […]
When you came to my jail cell and dropped this whole princess thing on me . . . how was I supposed to react? All of a sudden I went from being nobody to being long-lost royalty, and you expected me to jump up and accept this destiny that you’d worked out in your head, […]
It’s not often that we are privileged to read literary gems from both father AND son. But that is indeed the case here; to make it more interesting, both are tackling Beowulf. Interest piqued? I hope so because both of these books are truly outstanding. The first is an action-packed adventure novel full of the mysterious […]
Basketball season has peaked and poetry month is almost over, but here are some sports novels in verse (not so strange a genre as you might think), plus a poetic tribute to baseball, that are well worth a look. The Crossover, by Kwame Alexander. Harcourt Mifflin Harcourt, 2014, 237 pages. Age/interest level: 10-up. Basketball Rule […]
A few weeks ago, Veronica Roth’s book Divergent hit the big screen. In God’s providence, that morning I also happened to be in the same town as Hayley, our intrepid intern-turned-exec-assistant, who is now a student at Boyce College. So, we slid up to the table in a local coffee house, got a couple of […]
Subscribe / Connect
- 2014 Summer Reading Challenge…For the Whole Family May 27, 2014
- SRC, Week 1: Chitty Chitty And The Race Against Time June 16, 2014
- Parents, Teachers: How Does Your Christianity Change How and What Your Teens Read? June 26, 2014
- SRC, Week 2: Rush Revere and the First Patriots June 24, 2014
- SRC Blue Comet: Problems and Alternate Suggestion June 22, 2014
- Anna: In defense of books like these, though, I must cit...
- Summer Reading and Book News | Semicolon: […] Beach Books by Betsy at Redeemed Reader....
- Emily: Good point, George. Thanks for bringing that poin...
- Emily: So glad you found it profitable for your family, K...
- Kristina: This was excellent! Thank you for taking time to t...
- Anna on SRC Blue Comet: Problems and Alternate Suggestion
- Summer Reading and Book News | Semicolon on Beach Books! (Librarians’ List)
- Emily on Parents, Teachers: How Does Your Christianity Change How and What Your Teens Read?
- Emily on SRC, Week 4: Time Travel Devotional
- Kristina on SRC, Week 4: Time Travel Devotional