It’s Thursday, and that means it’s time for our Summer Reading Challenge (SRC) extras! In case you missed it, here is the Introduction, our list of 100 Great Adventure Books for Kids, as well as week one’s Book review and discussion questions. Enjoy! A Journey of Funny Next week, Janie will introduce the SRC writing contests, including [...]
Library Tour Introduction It’s taken us all week to pull it off, but we finally have it: a conversation with Janie Cheaney (the kids’ book author), Megan E. Saben and Betsy Farquhar (our resident librarians), and me–Emily Whitten (a former assistant editor at a kids’ book publisher). For more about us, see our About page. [...]
AN INTRODUCTION Last week, we ran a book giveaway of this book, Unseduced and Unshaken: The Place of Dignity in a Young Woman’s Choices by Dr. Rosalie De Rosset. I felt it was particularly noteworthy for our readers, considering both the author’s background and the use of classic literature as a kind of moral capital [...]
While we’re finishing off the Christmas cookies and figgy pudding (does anyone really eat figgy pudding? what is it anyway?!), Janie and I thought we’d celebrate the closing of the year with a few retrospective posts. If you’re new to the site, or if you just happened to miss a few, here are our ten [...]
Has the sun finally set on Twilight? When Stephanie Meyer published The Twilight Saga in 2005, I expect most people were taken aback at the warm welcome it received. Sure, the Harry Potter franchise had shown there was plenty of teenage interest in traditionally dark/occult topics, albeit in a kinder, gentler, moral package. But $2.5 [...]
My readers are broken people…children are sinners in need of grace….If I take some other posture to my writing, I’m not going to be authentically leading other sinners to the cross and the gospel. –Douglas Bond Our Guests My guests today are two authors keenly interested in bringing history alive for kids. But not just [...]
The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd Jones is a staple among Christian parents these days who want to help introduce kids to the Bible in a way that focuses on Christ. Not only is it theologically rich, but the illustrations by Jago are enticing for both children and adults, combining reverence, tenderness and even [...]
Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James is the first in a trilogy of novels labeled erotica by its publisher Random House. The novels were released in 2011 and besides topping the New York Times bestseller list for some time now, they are so popular that one British hotel has replaced the Bible with [...]
Compared to the aristocracy in Europe, these were really modest people and they weren’t perfect people…[but] they really lived motivated by these ideas. If you want to teach your kids that ideas have consequences, and big ideas and grand ideas can result in really wonderful things, I think the Revolutionary period displays that.–Susan Olasky I [...]
Last Thanksgiving, Janie and I had the privilege of speaking with Susan Hunt on the subject of encouraging thankfulness in kids…and in ourselves! We thought this Mother’s Day was a good time to reflect back on that conversation, since it touches on spiritual mothering. For those of you who don’t know Susan Hunt, you’re in [...]
On Your Radio This week Redeemedreader–as represented Janie, Caity Kullen (intern), Morgan Lee (friend of the blog), and me–virtually met with Nick Eicher of World Magazine’s radio program for a roundtable discussion of The Hunger Games. We had a blast, and I was so impressed with the insight put forth by three generations of Christians [...]
Subscribe / Connect
- Around the World in 60 Days: Summer Reading Challenge for Kids May 23, 2013
- Missionary autobiography: Pilipinto’s Happiness May 29, 2013
- Adult-Teen Summer Reading, Introduction: Conversation and a Contest! June 8, 2013
- Summer Fun: Interns Needed May 15, 2013
- 100 Great Adventure Books for Kids: Summer Read Along Book Lists are Here! June 3, 2013
- Crystal: My mother taught me to read when I was four, and I...
- Megan: Such great advice! Thanks for sharing!...
- Betsy: These posts are so fun to read, Janie!! Makes me w...
- Betsy: I enjoyed reading this, Janie!...
- Emily: Thank you all for your wonderful comments! We are...
- Crystal on Adult-Teen Summer Reading, Introduction: Conversation and a Contest!
- Megan on Let’s Take a Road Trip: Our Final Destination
- Betsy on Let’s Take a Road Trip: Our Final Destination
- Betsy on Let’s Take a Road Trip–and Write a Story!
- Emily on Adult-Teen Summer Reading, Introduction: Conversation and a Contest!