Welcome to the New Year at Redeemedreader! We’ve done a lot of interviews since our founding in 2011, so we thought we’d pull your favorites together today. We’ve gained a lot of new readers recently, so instead of only looking at this year’s best interviews, I’ve drawn these from our entire archives. Happy reading! Top 10 […]
Truth in the Tinsel Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I suppose the Christmas race has officially begun now, and with that in mind, I wanted to share with you an advent devotional my kids and I will be doing this year. I know that there are many worthy Advent studies. (For instance, I […]
Anselm of Canterbury (Christian Biographies for Young Readers) by Simonetta Carr. Reformation Heritage Books, 2013. 64 pgs. Ages 8-up. Simonetta Carr recently published Anselm of Caterbury, the sixth in her Christian Biographies for Young Readers with Reformation Heritage books. The books fill an important niche in Christian publishing–picture books about church history. They are not […]
Last Friday we had a fascinating discussion with our interns about some of the first titles of a brand new YA imprint from Zondervan. One of those titles, you may recall, was Merlin’s Blade, the first volume in a very promising trilogy called the Merlin Spiral, by a debut author. We expect to see more […]
THE BOOK REVIEW When Edgar Met Cecil. Peachtree Publishers, 2013. 32 pgs. Ages 4-8. Kevin Luthardt is an author-illustrator who has had a pretty big impact on our family through his picture book entitled Larabee. (You can read about that in our 2012 interview with him.) So imagine my delight upon learning that just in time […]
Other Lemonade and Lit posts: Introduction, Week One: Booked, Week Two: Booked Discussion, Week Three: Beauty, Week Four: Sexuality in Booked, Week Five: Beauty Discussion, Week Six: The Last Thing I Remember, Week Seven: Klavan Discussion. Lemonade and Lit: An Adult-Teen Read Along, Week 2 Last Saturday, Gina Dalfonzo of Breakpoint Youth Reads introduced our […]
***This Giveaway is Now Over. But Please Feel Free to Join the Conversation at the end! Pilipinto’s Happiness: The Jungle Childhood of Valerie Elliot, by Valerie Shepard (Vision Forum, 2012). Reading a book about growing up among the wild animals of the Amazon jungle put my recent concerns about a few black widow spiders in […]
Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site (see our review here) hurled Sherri Rinker’s star into the picture-book firmament. Accepted by the first publisher she submitted it to, the cheerful tale of five construction vehicles settling down for the night went on to become one of the top-selling picture books of 2011. Now the same talented team (Sherri […]
Introduction There are very few modern books that I see as really significant. But I see the Kai’ Ro series–an urban interpretation of Pilgrim’s Progress–by youth minister, Judah Ben, as one of those series that may actually help change the landscape of Christian publishing. How you ask? His book brings the Christian rap movement–a kind […]
Last week in Church Literacy, Part One, we heard from a Christian mom who dealt with dyslexia in her son. I hope that gave you a little insight into what a family faces when they deal with something like dyslexia. Of course, dyslexia is only one of the many reasons roughly 20% of any given […]
Yesterday we reviewed two graphic novels by a rising star in the world of “comics” who also happens to be a Christian and a homeschooling dad. Doug TenNapel, California-born and bred, began his career as an animator and moved into video game design. In that world he’s probably best known as the creator of Earthworm […]
Subscribe / Connect
- The Spiritual World of The Hobbit + Giveaway January 23, 2014
- Nurturing a young reader’s literary tastes January 9, 2014
- Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway) March 5, 2014
- Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1 March 7, 2014
- ALA Midwinter Conference Reflections January 30, 2014
- Megan: Thank you for making the crisis personal and remin...
- Betsy: Thanks for this, Hayley! We have a good friend who...
- Hayley S.: Thank you so much for your kind comment, Miriam! ...
- Miriam Tucker: I recently attended a wedding at our church in Lou...
- DL: Ever since the Summer Reading Program, my kids hav...
- Megan on Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1
- Betsy on Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1
- Hayley S. on Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1
- Miriam Tucker on Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1
- DL on Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway)