Truth in the Tinsel Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I suppose the Christmas race has officially begun now, and with that in mind, I wanted to share with you an advent devotional my kids and I will be doing this year. I know that there are many worthy Advent studies. (For instance, I […]
The National Book Award Finalists were announced earlier this fall, and this past week, the winners were announced. This year’s winner for Young People’s Literature is The Thing About Luck–a book I read earlier this fall. I enjoyed others that I read on the NBA shortlist (and longlist) more, but I can appreciate the choice. […]
It’s time for another Librarians’ List! Since it’s picture book month, we’re indulging our list-making hobbies and bringing you yet another list of our favorites. Last week, we looked at Retro Reads, books published before 2000. Today, the list includes our favorite hot-off-the-press titles, all of which have been published this year (we’ll see how […]
To listen to our a read along with real teens or find discussion questions about Ender’s Game, please see our Ender’s Game Read Along. Also, to read the stories in our contest, see our Short Story Finalists post. Sci-fi Contest Winner Back when I was in high school, my short story contest submissions were read […]
2013 has given us lots of excellent diverse picture book titles: books about minority cultures, folktale retellings, and books by (or illustrated by) people of color. Some of them offer snapshots of a different culture without much commentary. Others show people (or animals) developing character and using hard work to fight opposition or simply to […]
Dear Redeemedreaders, We appreciate you! If you have appreciated Redeemedreader this year, we’d love to have your support during the holiday season. We have narrowed down some of our best gift book recommendations for this time of year below. Just click on any of the widgets or titles you see here, and you’ll go to […]
New to Redeemedreader? Sign up for our biweekly newsletter on our homepage! You can also like us on Facebook or follow along on Twitter to keep up with our book recommendations for kids and teens. To see who won the Writing Contest, CLICK HERE. INTRODUCTION Back in October, we invited teens to participate in a Sci-fi Writing Contest as part of our Ender’s […]
We’ve been spending quite a bit of time this month looking at newer picture books–many of them published in 2013. But today we’re taking a look back to some favorite Retro Reads (published before 2000). The books below are in no particular order and many will be recognizable to you. The best way to learn […]
For our purposes, wordless books are either entirely wordless or have very little text. A classic example is Peter Spier’s Noah’s Ark which begins with a centuries-old poem on page 1, and then proceeds with no further text. Mercer Mayer’s Four Frogs in a Box series is another absolute must in anyone’s wordless book education. […]
We’re celebrating Picture Book Month here at RedeemedReader! ABC Books are some of the most common picture books young children see, but there are many ABC books that delight older readers as well. Just as a teacher’s roster, the dictionary, a filing system use the alphabet as an organizing tool, so, too, do many clever […]
Ten guaranteed ways to destroy a good picture book (without a Sharpie or a bonfire) Always read in the same tone of voice, without expression or accents. Especially if it’s only a mediocre book that you’re tired of reading one more time—your child will be offended if you read Clifford with a Southern drawl! You […]
Subscribe / Connect
- Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway! December 9, 2013
- Sci-fi Short Story Finalists: VOTE FOR A WINNER! November 16, 2013
- Septimus Heap October 23, 2013
- Anselm: An Interview with Simonetta Carr October 16, 2013
- Some Words About Wordless Books November 15, 2013
- Sarah: I was saved after the movie of Pilgrim's progress...
- Nate: One nonfiction book that I really appreciate is Go...
- Tim Sheppard: One that was pretty influential for me was, What W...
- Kristen @ Celebrate Every Day With Me: Knowing God, The Jesus I Never Knew . . . to name ...
- Bridgette: "What's So Amazing About Grace" helped me get r...
- Sarah on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Nate on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Tim Sheppard on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Kristen @ Celebrate Every Day With Me on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Bridgette on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!