As our hearts turns toward the reason for the season, we moms and dads, grandpas and grandmas long to give our children something of lasting spiritual value amongst all the trinkets and gizmos. It might be a good time to revisit John Bunyan’s classic, especially since a new version especially for young readers has appeared. […]
For a parent, there’s nothing scarier than sending a high school graduate out into the world—and in fact, the world looks pretty scary these days. Not to mention confusing, even in matters that used to be taken for granted. Up until about ten years ago, for instance, it was a given that high-school grads eyeing […]
In an earlier post I wrote about beginners “Bibles” and Bible storybooks. That was followed up by a post on the methods and merits and of the most popular English translations, then Bibles for elementary-age readers. Today, as we’re thinking about high-school graduations and college-bound sons and daughters, I’d like to look at Bibles aimed […]
If you’re new to Redeemedreader, be sure to “like” our Facebook page or sign up for our newsletter in the sidebar. We’ll keep you updated on all our Bible reviews and book recommendations! Yesterday’s post addressed the general subject of children’s Bibles how to evaluate them for the particular needs of each child and family. […]
Last Tuesday we looked at a range of new Bible storybooks and early reader “Bibles.” On Friday, we picked our way through the field of Bible translations and compared the most popular for accuracy and readability. Today we’re ready to get down to the meat and bones: just how to you choose a Bible for […]
Warning: Long post, no pictures. Deal! The word is living and active, sharper than any double-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” Heb. 4:12 No book has ever outsold it, no avowed readership exceeds it, no text […]
What could be more appropriate for Holy Week than a survey of children’s Bibles and Bible storybooks? That’s what I foolishly thought, but this project became a version of The Blob the deeper I waded into it. Amazon.com has over 100 pages under the heading “Children’s Bibles,” though many of those are storybooks. Christianbook.com lists […]
Last week we looked at some YA titles that celebrated the “coming out” of gay and lesbian characters. “Young Adult” has traditionally been the accepted age category for exploring these themes, but since homosexuality is considered a civil rights issue rather than a privacy issue like abortion, the dogma is bound to extend to middle-grade […]
On Friday I wrote about the treatment of homosexuality in youth literature, a topic I’m not quite done with. We notice more novels that normalize homosexual behavior popping up on bookstore and library shelves, but there’s something about them that doesn’t get much comment. The quantity of titles doesn’t equal quantity of readers. There’s a […]
“We will triumph with our tongues. We own our lips—who is our master?” Psalm 12:4 We live in an age where reality can be easily disconnected from imagination, where pharmaceutical or electronic aids provide a back door for escaping real life when it gets too tough. It’s an age full of words—spoken, written, texted—that can […]
THE CHURCH: On to Glory! This is our last part of the yearly study! For those of you who make it this far, congratulations, and we hope it’s been a good experience for you. It’s certainly been a labor of love on our part. What better way to end than to savor the promise of […]
Subscribe / Connect
- Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway! December 9, 2013
- Sci-fi Short Story Finalists: VOTE FOR A WINNER! November 16, 2013
- Septimus Heap October 23, 2013
- Anselm: An Interview with Simonetta Carr October 16, 2013
- Some Words About Wordless Books November 15, 2013
- Melissa Deming: I loved The Screwtape Letters growing up. I think ...
- Vic: I read Kevin Deyoung's little book Just Do Someth...
- Peter: R.C. Sproul "Chosen by God" has been very influe...
- Check out | HeadHeartHand Blog: […] Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited (And ...
- Megan: There are so many!! The Gospel Primer has been aw...
- Melissa Deming on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Vic on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Peter on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Check out | HeadHeartHand Blog on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Megan on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!