What could be more appropriate for Holy Week than a survey of children’s Bibles and Bible storybooks? That’s what I foolishly thought, but this project became a version of The Blob the deeper I waded into it. Amazon.com has over 100 pages under the heading “Children’s Bibles,” though many of those are storybooks. Christianbook.com lists […]
We’ve written a number of articles about Bibles and Bible-related kids’ books over the past year. Here are a few that might make great Christmas gifts: Emily’s Top Story Bibles for Kids: Includes choices for ages 2-10 such as One Wintry Night by Ruth Graham, The Big Picture Storybible and The Jesus Story Bible. The […]
In my previous post, I tried to show that Sally Lloyd Jones uses two broad ways of finding Christ in the Old Testament: 1) historical and 2) symbolic. For instance, when we approach the story of Abraham and Isaac, we must first admit that these are real people in space and time. (For a wonderful […]
I have recommended The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd Jones in numerous posts on this blog. That doesn’t mean I think it is perfect, or perfect for everyone. In some ways, what makes it useful—its strong narrative voice and creative illustrations—actually end up taking kids farther from the original Bible text. And in that […]
“They know bits and pieces of the Old Testament—how God created the heavens and the earth, what rules he wants us to follow, how he worked through faithful believers to inflict justice on enemies. But they often fail to see how it all fits together as one story of grace from first to last, featuring […]
Subscribe / Connect
- Laid-Back Homeschooling: a Word of Encouragement for the Year Ahead September 9, 2015
- Teaching Kids Church History September 11, 2015
- A Chocolate Moose for Dinner by Fred Gwynne September 28, 2015
- Top 25 Ancient History Resources September 6, 2015
- 5 Souvenirs from Narnia September 21, 2015
- Megan: Love the anecdote, Hannah! Carrie, I'm glad you m...
- Hannah Hall: Haha! Sounds adorable! I'll never forget overhear...
- Carrie: We love the Fred Gwynne books (my mom found them a...
- Redeemer Reader reviews Matthew Muddles Through | Glenda Faye Mathes: […] over at Redeemed Reader has posted a rev...
- George: Beautiful observations, Janie. The most beautiful...