What could be more appropriate for Holy Week than a survey of children’s Bibles and Bible storybooks? That’s what I foolishly thought, but this project became a version of The Blob the deeper I waded into it. Amazon.com has over 100 pages under the heading “Children’s Bibles,” though many of those are storybooks. Christianbook.com lists [...]
We’ve written a number of articles about Bibles and Bible-related kids’ books over the past year. Here are a few that might make great Christmas gifts: Emily’s Top Story Bibles for Kids: Includes choices for ages 2-10 such as One Wintry Night by Ruth Graham, The Big Picture Storybible and The Jesus Story Bible. The [...]
In my previous post, I tried to show that Sally Lloyd Jones uses two broad ways of finding Christ in the Old Testament: 1) historical and 2) symbolic. For instance, when we approach the story of Abraham and Isaac, we must first admit that these are real people in space and time. (For a wonderful [...]
I have recommended The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd Jones in numerous posts on this blog. That doesn’t mean I think it is perfect, or perfect for everyone. In some ways, what makes it useful—its strong narrative voice and creative illustrations—actually end up taking kids farther from the original Bible text. And in that [...]
“They know bits and pieces of the Old Testament—how God created the heavens and the earth, what rules he wants us to follow, how he worked through faithful believers to inflict justice on enemies. But they often fail to see how it all fits together as one story of grace from first to last, featuring [...]
- Sorting Out the Children’s Bible Market April 3, 2013
- Toddling into the Word: First Bible Storybooks and Early-Reader Bibles March 26, 2013
- Tricksters and Fools April 1, 2013
- Church Literacy, Part One: Interview with Mom of a Dyslexic Child April 4, 2013
- Hail and Farewell: Maurice Sendak April 23, 2013
- Hayley: This is such an interesting post, Janie! I do nee...
- Emily: That's funny, Jess! I actually really disliked G...
- Janie: That's the great thing about literature, Jessalyn...
- Jessalyn: We LOVE Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site!!!...
- Jessalyn: I've read this book twice now... Once in high sch...
- Hayley on The Great American Novel: Is There Any Such Thing?
- Emily on The Great American Novel: Is There Any Such Thing?
- Janie on The Great American Novel: Is There Any Such Thing?
- Jessalyn on Steaming into Sunset: an Interview with Sherri Rinker
- Jessalyn on The Great American Novel: Is There Any Such Thing?