I’ll be honest, Janie and I didn’t really know what to expect when we decided to advertise for an intern. We hoped to rangle up a few hardworking young adults, preferably with something close to adequate writing skills. But we definitely didn’t suspect we would get the quantity and quality of applications we received over […]
What is it about these little creatures that makes them such a staple of fantasy fiction? From Mrs. Frisby to Reepicheep to Matthias to the immortal Mickey, mice have aspired to greatness, even heroism. Maybe the appeal of the little bitty hero is too powerful to resist—and besides, they’re so darn cute. They also insist […]
The Hungry Cities Chronicles, by Philip Reeve: Mortal Engines (2001), Predator’s Gold (2003), Infernal Devices (2005), A Darkling Plain (2006). Harper Collins. Age/interest level: 14-up. If I were idly browsing shelves, I would pass these books right by. The old-style sci-fi jackets picturing flying machines skimming over alien landscapes, not to mention the genre (dystopia—not […]
ONE STORY, ONE BIG ADVENTURE Judging by the success of Sally Lloyd Jones’ The Jesus Storybook Bible and R. C. Sproul’s new book, What’s in the Bible, as well as the many great and not-so-great knock-offs that have come along (i.e. The Story, a new kids’ Bible by Zondervan), there seems to be a new […]
It’s been an exciting year. We launched Redeemedreader back in February of 2011, and since then we’ve been sprinting to keep up. So most of this week, Janie and I are convalescencing. In my case, I’m visiting with family and trying not to fall asleep on the couch. Not a bad way to spend a […]
Yesterday on our site, we offered a review of both book and movie, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. But of course, it’s not the first time Janie and I have written about dark fiction that appeals to teenagers. There is my review of A Clockwork Orange as part of my autobiography-in-books series, Janie’s post […]
Last Wednesday, I sat down with a friend at the Regal Cinema nearby to watch “the feel bad movie of Christmas.” For the uninitiated, that’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, an American film based on the international best-selling book by Stieg Larrson. Yes, I knew that the movie would be gritty. I read half […]
ADVENT II The year the tree fell: Little bits of brittle angels all over the floor, bent up boxes, and torn paper. I cut myself a dozen times on sparkly slivers of broken balls. * * * The year the tree falls: No pastoral night nativities No gentle carpenter hung on boards. This […]
The Invention of Lefse: a Christmas Story, by Larry Woiwode. Crossway, 2011, 63 pages. Age/interest level: 8 and up. “Lefse? What’s lefse?” is the epigraph at the beginning of Larry Woiwode’s latest story. That was my question, too: Is it a machine? a person? an idea? No (as some readers will already know)—it’s something more […]
Ah, winter…Christmas parties, New Years resolutions, dashing through the snow to Grandma’s house with a minivan full of sugar-crazed kids. What better time for a family audio book?! Free Audiobooks Swan Lake by Storynory. Some odd titles and story versions on this site (their Nutcracker doesn’t even include the Land of Sweets, the only part […]
****AS OF 1/2012, THIS YEAR’S INTERNSHIP POSITIONS HAVE BEEN FILLED. (SEE INTERN-AL MACHINATIONS FOR A LIST OF WINNERS.) HOWEVER, IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO JOIN OUR YOUNG CHRISTIAN WRITER’S FORUM, PLEASE JUST LEAVE US A NOTE IN THE COMMENTS. Do you know of a young writer between the ages of 16-21? Someone who might like […]
Subscribe / Connect
- Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway! December 9, 2013
- Sci-fi Short Story Finalists: VOTE FOR A WINNER! November 16, 2013
- Some Words About Wordless Books November 15, 2013
- Anselm: An Interview with Simonetta Carr October 16, 2013
- Septimus Heap October 23, 2013
- Kara: I grew up loving Pilgrim's Progress, partly from ...
- Jen: Knowing God by Packer and The Rare Jewel of Christ...
- Jeffrey C: The Soul of Life: The Piety of John Calvin, edited...
- Anthony W: I am reading Absolute Surrender by Andrew Murray. ...
- Shawn Anderson: Isaac Ambrose - Looking Unto Jesus. This book was ...
- Kara on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Jen on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Jeffrey C on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Anthony W on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Shawn Anderson on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!