After all these years, I still believe with Lauren Myracle that the development of empathy is one of literature’s crowning achievements. I believe with J. K. Rowling that imagination is an extraordinary gift: “Unlike any other creature on this planet, humans can learn and understand, without having experienced. They can think themselves into other […]
“All the lonely people, where do they all come from? All the lonely people, where do they all belong?” The Beatles, Eleanor Rigby Last week, for better or worse, I tried to talk about how I came to a skepticism about language as a teenager. Looking back, though, the post was really more focused on […]
Most YA readers in America stop right here. From junior high and high school literature, they gain a few basic sentiments–sentiments which may or not be held or recognized by non-readers in their lives. What are those sentiments? I’ve tried to detail them up til now: 1) race is just color, signifying nothing; 2) class […]
“On the breast of her gown, in fine red cloth, surrounded with an elaborate embroidery and fantastic flourishes of gold thread, appeared the letter A.” –Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter What is the wall between saint and sinner made of? The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne begins with a lengthy prologue, given in the voice […]
“We’re so fortunate here, away from the turmoil. We wouldn’t have to give a moment’s thought to all this suffering if it weren’t for the fact that we’re so worried about those we hold dear, whom we can no longer help. I feel wicked sleeping in a warm bed, while somewhere out there my dearest […]
“‘It’s lovely to be going home and know it’s home,’ she said. ‘I love Green Gables already, and I never loved any place before. No place ever seemed like home. Oh, Marilla, I’m so happy. I could pray right now and not find it a bit hard.’” Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery I still […]
Subscribe / Connect
- Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway! December 9, 2013
- Sci-fi Short Story Finalists: VOTE FOR A WINNER! November 16, 2013
- Septimus Heap October 23, 2013
- Anselm: An Interview with Simonetta Carr October 16, 2013
- Some Words About Wordless Books November 15, 2013
- Jen: Knowing God by Packer and The Rare Jewel of Christ...
- Jeffrey C: The Soul of Life: The Piety of John Calvin, edited...
- Anthony W: I am reading Absolute Surrender by Andrew Murray. ...
- Shawn Anderson: Isaac Ambrose - Looking Unto Jesus. This book was ...
- Brent: Knowing God by Packer and The Holiness of God by S...
- Jen on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Jeffrey C on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Anthony W on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Shawn Anderson on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Brent on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!