After all these years, I still believe with Lauren Myracle that the development of empathy is one of literature’s crowning achievements. I believe with J. K. Rowling that imagination is an extraordinary gift: “Unlike any other creature on this planet, humans can learn and understand, without having experienced. They can think themselves into other […]
“All the lonely people, where do they all come from? All the lonely people, where do they all belong?” The Beatles, Eleanor Rigby Last week, for better or worse, I tried to talk about how I came to a skepticism about language as a teenager. Looking back, though, the post was really more focused on […]
Most YA readers in America stop right here. From junior high and high school literature, they gain a few basic sentiments–sentiments which may or not be held or recognized by non-readers in their lives. What are those sentiments? I’ve tried to detail them up til now: 1) race is just color, signifying nothing; 2) class […]
“On the breast of her gown, in fine red cloth, surrounded with an elaborate embroidery and fantastic flourishes of gold thread, appeared the letter A.” –Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter What is the wall between saint and sinner made of? The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne begins with a lengthy prologue, given in the voice […]
“We’re so fortunate here, away from the turmoil. We wouldn’t have to give a moment’s thought to all this suffering if it weren’t for the fact that we’re so worried about those we hold dear, whom we can no longer help. I feel wicked sleeping in a warm bed, while somewhere out there my dearest […]
“‘It’s lovely to be going home and know it’s home,’ she said. ‘I love Green Gables already, and I never loved any place before. No place ever seemed like home. Oh, Marilla, I’m so happy. I could pray right now and not find it a bit hard.’” Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery I still […]
Subscribe / Connect
- Easter devotional: Why Easter? March 24, 2014
- Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway) March 5, 2014
- Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Pt. 2 March 15, 2014
- Adventuring with Wilder Good, Gannon & Wyatt, and a Giveaway! March 25, 2014
- Retro Reads: Lloyd Alexander’s Chronicles of Prydain March 12, 2014
- Christina: We loved Jessica's. And I just bought Sally's ne...
- Beth: Could offer suggestions/reviews on the available a...
- Liz: I'm so glad i didn't waste my time reading it! I...
- Sara: Bullet #'s 1,2,5 & 6! I host a small group o...
- Sara: Great listing! There is another Macbeth production...