Even though I have some reservations about personal devotional books, expressed here, family devotions are another story, and while some formats are “less optimal” than others, time set aside as a family to talk about God’s word and its application to everyday life is time well spent. The quantity doesn’t matter as much as the […]
Summer’s Just Around the Corner! My family’s summer schedule is quite different from our school year schedule. What with travel, fun in the sun, and other diversions, it’s easy to get completely out of our normal routine. I find myself steering away from big “commitments.” Part of the charm of these two devotional guides by […]
“Thy word have I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin . . .” (Ps. 119:11) More than anything, Christian parents want their children to treasure God’s word in their hearts, so it will be a guide and defense through the pitfalls of life. Starting them out right often includes a simplified […]
THE NATION: Saul The people wanted a king, so God let them have their way. Saul is crowned, and everything is coming up roses for Israel, right? Er, not quite. It isn’t long until Saul lets his power go to his head, and he begins twisting God’s word to suit his inclinations. (Sound familiar?) But […]
The Voice Bible proposes to do something new: present God’s word narratively rather than propositionally. That may be an overstatement, as the Bible is propositional as well as narrative—that is, it makes statements of truth (also as poetic expressions, laments, songs, psychological evaluation, moral judgments, and rousing exhortations) while it tells a story. But story […]
In my post on Tuesday, I included a brief survey of the ALA’s “Top Ten Banned Books for 2010.” Let’s take a closer look at that list, just to see what kinds of books are “banned” and what might be the problem with them. Counting up from the bottom, they are 10. Twilight, by Stephanie […]
The claim that a story Bible isn’t actually a Bible may seem a bit shocking at first. I mean, it’s got the word “Bible” right there in the name, doesn’t it? But now that I’ve had a few years to teach my kids with one, I’ve come to realize that most story Bibles contain very […]
Subscribe / Connect
- Jim Weiss Audiobook Giveaway!!! November 19, 2014
- Reviewing School Book Lists, Part Four: Reading is Spiritual Warfare October 11, 2014
- Interns Needed! October 23, 2014
- Space Case by Stuart Gibbs October 1, 2014
- Picture Book Biographies October 6, 2014
- Kimberly Locke: Story of the World! I'm thankful that my son is s...
- Sarah: I'm thankful for my husband and children, and for...
- Julia: I'm thankful for my husband reading aloud at bedt...
- Connie: I am thankful for a warm home and plenty of food t...
- Cami Klaus: We would love to get to Jim Weiss. Thank you for ...