When we started Redeemed Reader a few yeas ago, one of our first friends was Douglas Bond: teacher, musicologist, and novelist. We’ve interviewed him several times, by email and podcast, but just a few months ago, we started getting wind of a very exciting project in the works: a movie version of one of his […]
My readers are broken people…children are sinners in need of grace….If I take some other posture to my writing, I’m not going to be authentically leading other sinners to the cross and the gospel. –Douglas Bond Our Guests My guests today are two authors keenly interested in bringing history alive for kids. But not just […]
Tomorrow we have a real treat for you: two Christian dads, one a pastor and one a teacher, who both happen to write books for young people. William Boekestein and Douglas Bond, together in one podcast, chat with Emily about the value of historical fiction, reading in the gospel light, and reading classics with your […]
THE PODCAST Plenty of Americans dream of taking a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Europe…to see the Eiffle Tower, hear the chiming of Big Ben, and float along the romantic canals of Venice. But for many devoted Christians, the idea of a Reformation Tour never crosses their minds. Today, Douglas Bond tells us about the Reformation Tours […]
Today’s podcast is a follow-up to our last interview with Mr. Bond, RR Podcast 4: Douglas Bond on Fatherhood. Last time we talked about his devotional books for young men and their fathers, Fathers and Sons. But this time we focused more on his fiction–including his series on hymns of the church featuring Mr. Pipes, […]
Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America, by James Webb, explores the influence of the Scottish Protestants on national culture from pre-revolutionary America up to the present day. They were known for toughness, piety, and belligerence, and became so instrumental to the movement for independence that back in Britain Horace Walpole complained, “America has run […]
Today’s interview is regarding Douglas Bond’s devotional series for young men and their fathers, Fathers and Sons. I hope to eventually do another interview with Mr. Bond, since we weren’t able to touch on his fiction. However, in this interview Mr. Bond explains why he chose to write to young men and their fathers together, […]
“For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, ‘Abba, Father.’” Romans 8:15 Father’s Day Celebration As Christians, we–make that I–often forget just how startling it would have been for Jesus’ followers to hear Him call upon […]
Subscribe / Connect
- The Spiritual World of The Hobbit + Giveaway January 23, 2014
- Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway) March 5, 2014
- Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1 March 7, 2014
- ALA Midwinter Conference Reflections January 30, 2014
- Librarians’ List: Easy/Leveled Readers, part 1 March 8, 2014
- Emily: Thanks for the suggestions, Melinda. We will add ...
- Betsy: This is one of my all-time favorite Disney movies-...
- Melinda Speece: I visited Ukraine with a group called HopeHouse In...
- Cathy: Great list, thanks!...
- Mandi: My boys liked Henry & Mudge, Mr. Putter & ...
- Emily on Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1
- Betsy on Retro Reads: The Sword in the Stone
- Melinda Speece on Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1
- Cathy on Librarians’ List: Easy/Leveled Readers, part 1
- Mandi on Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway)