Non-writers, or writers who don’t do fiction, often have a misconception about fictional forms. Short stories are seen as an apprenticeship of sorts—you start out writing them, and then graduate to writing novels. It makes sense, but it’s totally untrue. Short- and long-form fiction (i.e., stories and novels) are different in form, not just length, […]
Our book reviewer today is Autumn, one of our current interns here at Redeemedreader.com. She is a sophomore at a small liberal arts college here in Tennessee, making her way through a Southern, Christ-haunted literary landscape much like Flannery O’Connor encountered. Among her many interests are reading, writing, violin, guitar, songwriting and drinking fermented (non-alcoholic) […]
Near the beginning of her essay, “The Teaching of Literature” (in Mystery and Manners), Flannery O’Connor writes that fiction has no dearth of critics, because everyone considers himself an authority on fiction’s central subject. That is, life. So readers tend to be looking for something in particular when they pick up a novel, “and if […]
MEET THE AUTHORS Jonathan Rogers is not only one of the most talented Christian writers for kids’ today (see our review of The Charlatan’s Boy), he’s also kept his own faith while passing through the highest echelons of academia. He holds a Ph.D. in English Literature from Vanderbilt University, and just recently published a biography […]
Subscribe / Connect
- Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway! December 9, 2013
- Sci-fi Short Story Finalists: VOTE FOR A WINNER! November 16, 2013
- Septimus Heap October 23, 2013
- Anselm: An Interview with Simonetta Carr October 16, 2013
- Some Words About Wordless Books November 15, 2013
- Joey E: Mere Christianity....
- Leah Rollins: The Chronicles of Narnia influenced me during my t...
- Kristin R: Definitely anything by CS Lewis....
- Sarah R.: Brennan Manning's "The Ragamuffin Gospel" - I c...
- Hannah Zekveld: Notes from the Titlt-a-whirl by Nathan D Wilson. ...
- Joey E on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Leah Rollins on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Kristin R on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Sarah R. on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!
- Hannah Zekveld on Pilgrim’s Progress Revisited: Two Versions and a Giveaway!