Cinder by Marissa Meyer. Square Fish, 2012. 387 pages. Age/interest level: 14-up. Linh Cinder is a teenage mechanic, the best mechanic in New Beijing. She is also a cyborg, part of her limbs robotic due to a childhood accident. Early in the story, Cinder meets Prince Kai, heir apparent of New Beijing. Kai needs […]
A Balanced “Book Diet” Reading is like eating: you need a variety of wholesome ingredients, a little sugar, and a little moderation across the board. Sometimes you need to chew on a steak (mull over a “deep” text), and sometimes you just need some brain candy. Most of the time, though, you need a well-balanced […]
I wrote this letter to a R.U.F. pastor a few weeks ago. And since it includes my ideas for kids’ devotionals, I thought I’d share it with you guys today. Personally, I think the very best devotional is time spent in the word of God with your children. (That’s one of the reasons I haven’t […]
“While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of Simon the Leper, a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table. When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. “Why this waste?” they asked. “This perfume could have […]
I know I’m in murky water here. Early in my daughter’s infancy, my husband and I began the argument: is our daughter a princess? Now that we have two daughters under six, the lure of the princess is in full swing, and I’ll be honest, I haven’t completely answered the question myself. One the one […]
You’re a new parent. You’ve got the baby crib with a fancy name, the swing, the bouncer, the burping pads. Now it’s time to choose your baby’s first Bible. And how hard could that be? It’s got to be easier than putting that crib together, right? The first time around, I just took my friends’ […]
Subscribe / Connect
- Summer Reading Challenge Finale & Prizes July 28, 2014
- Parents, Teachers: How Does Your Christianity Change How and What Your Teens Read? June 26, 2014
- Reviewing School Book Lists, Part One August 6, 2014
- SRC Blue Comet: Problems and Alternate Suggestion June 22, 2014
- SRC, Week 2: Rush Revere and the First Patriots June 24, 2014
- Amber: Thank you. This review was very helpful....
- Emily: You're so welcome, Kelli! Thanks for your encour...
- Kelli: My 14 year old daughter read the book and really w...
- Joy Tucker: Such a difficult question. We want to inculcate p...
- sara: I have great appreciation for the way Chesterton a...