Cinder by Marissa Meyer. Square Fish, 2012. 387 pages. Age/interest level: 14-up. Linh Cinder is a teenage mechanic, the best mechanic in New Beijing. She is also a cyborg, part of her limbs robotic due to a childhood accident. Early in the story, Cinder meets Prince Kai, heir apparent of New Beijing. Kai needs […]
A Balanced “Book Diet” Reading is like eating: you need a variety of wholesome ingredients, a little sugar, and a little moderation across the board. Sometimes you need to chew on a steak (mull over a “deep” text), and sometimes you just need some brain candy. Most of the time, though, you need a well-balanced […]
I wrote this letter to a R.U.F. pastor a few weeks ago. And since it includes my ideas for kids’ devotionals, I thought I’d share it with you guys today. Personally, I think the very best devotional is time spent in the word of God with your children. (That’s one of the reasons I haven’t […]
“While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of Simon the Leper, a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table. When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. “Why this waste?” they asked. “This perfume could have […]
I know I’m in murky water here. Early in my daughter’s infancy, my husband and I began the argument: is our daughter a princess? Now that we have two daughters under six, the lure of the princess is in full swing, and I’ll be honest, I haven’t completely answered the question myself. One the one […]
You’re a new parent. You’ve got the baby crib with a fancy name, the swing, the bouncer, the burping pads. Now it’s time to choose your baby’s first Bible. And how hard could that be? It’s got to be easier than putting that crib together, right? The first time around, I just took my friends’ […]
Subscribe / Connect
- The Spiritual World of The Hobbit + Giveaway January 23, 2014
- Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway) March 5, 2014
- Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1 March 7, 2014
- ALA Midwinter Conference Reflections January 30, 2014
- Librarians’ List: Easy/Leveled Readers, part 1 March 8, 2014
- Emily: Thanks for the suggestions, Melinda. We will add ...
- Betsy: This is one of my all-time favorite Disney movies-...
- Melinda Speece: I visited Ukraine with a group called HopeHouse In...
- Cathy: Great list, thanks!...
- Mandi: My boys liked Henry & Mudge, Mr. Putter & ...
- Emily on Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1
- Betsy on Retro Reads: The Sword in the Stone
- Melinda Speece on Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1
- Cathy on Librarians’ List: Easy/Leveled Readers, part 1
- Mandi on Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway)