The Torchlighters Biography Series: Corrie Ten Boom by Kaylena Radcliff. Christian History Institute, 2014. 93 pages. Reading Level: Middle Grades, ages 8-10, ages 10-12 Maturity Level: 3, 4 The beautiful story of how God used the unlikely ten Boom family to hide Jews in the Netherlands during World War II is told in The Hiding Place by Corrie, […]
If we were picking favorite periods of history, World War II would be near the top of the list. Though it’s fast fading from living memory, it still seems close enough to be relevant to our world today, with plenty of drama and grit, as Betsy’s review of Rose Under Fire demonstrates. Rose is geared […]
Many people think picture books should be left behind in the preschool years. Megan and I heartily disagree with that sentiment, and we invite you to check out one of these picture book biographies at your local library to read through with your family of all ages. They are great jumping off points for more […]
Seventy-three years ago, on September 1, German tanks rolled across the border of Poland and the conflict that soon became known as World War II officially began. The literature is vast, even for children. The weight is vast, too, with a level of destruction and death that we find hard to imagine. War stories aren’t […]
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Alfred A. Knopf, 2006. 550 pages. Reading Level: Young Adult, ages 12-15 Maturity Level: 6 (ages 15-18) and up Bottom line Summary: The Book Thief, a literary novel for teens and adults, explores Nazi Germany and the Holocaust through the eyes of a child, in prose that is often […]
Subscribe / Connect
- 10 Chapter Books for Dads to Read to Their Kids (+ Printable) March 26, 2015
- Finding Good Chapter Book Friends: Junie B. Jones v. Jasper John Dooley April 13, 2015
- Caroline Starr Rose: An Interview! March 30, 2015
- Crinkle, Crackle, Crack: It’s Spring! by Marion Dane Bauer, illustrated by John Shelley April 22, 2015
- *The Father Brown Reader: Stories from Chesterton adapted by Nancy Carpentier Brown April 23, 2015
- Janie: Thanks, Dean--we'll put that one on our list!...
- Check out | HeadHeartHand Blog: […] Sally Lloyd Jones: A Mini Interview | Re...
- Dean Aguirre: Another great book for grads would be Three Tips f...
- Beth: Great list! My son loves the Scaredy Squirrel boo...
- The Sage: I like a moment to address several commenters... ...