The Torchlighters Biography Series: Corrie Ten Boom by Kaylena Radcliff. Christian History Institute, 2014. 93 pages. Reading Level: Middle Grades, ages 8-10, ages 10-12 Maturity Level: 3, 4 The beautiful story of how God used the unlikely ten Boom family to hide Jews in the Netherlands during World War II is told in The Hiding Place by Corrie, […]
If we were picking favorite periods of history, World War II would be near the top of the list. Though it’s fast fading from living memory, it still seems close enough to be relevant to our world today, with plenty of drama and grit, as Betsy’s review of Rose Under Fire demonstrates. Rose is geared […]
Many people think picture books should be left behind in the preschool years. Megan and I heartily disagree with that sentiment, and we invite you to check out one of these picture book biographies at your local library to read through with your family of all ages. They are great jumping off points for more […]
Seventy-three years ago, on September 1, German tanks rolled across the border of Poland and the conflict that soon became known as World War II officially began. The literature is vast, even for children. The weight is vast, too, with a level of destruction and death that we find hard to imagine. War stories aren’t […]
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Alfred A. Knopf, 2006. 550 pages. Reading Level: Young Adult, ages 12-15 Maturity Level: 6 (ages 15-18) and up One-line Summary: The Book Thief, a literary novel for teens and adults, explores Nazi Germany and the Holocaust through the eyes of a child, in prose that is often beautiful […]
Subscribe / Connect
- Jim Weiss Audiobook Giveaway!!! November 19, 2014
- Jesus is Most Special by Sally Michael, illustrated by Fred Apps December 3, 2014
- Interns Needed! October 23, 2014
- Come On, Seabiscuit! by Ralph Moody. Audiobook read by Jim Weiss. October 29, 2014
- *Heart of a Samurai by Margi Preus November 17, 2014
- Emily: You're very welcome, Sunny! Thanks for stopping ...
- Emily: Kristy, I just wanted to add my two cents on to...
- Janie: Kristy, thanks for writing and I appreciate your c...
- Kristy: I just wanted to let you know that we have run int...
- sunny: Thank you for the review!...