Chasing Jupiter, by Rachel Coker. Zondervan, 2012, 221 pages. Age/interest level: 12-up. Our story begins in small-town Georgia, 1969—but 16-year-old Scarlett’s world seems even smaller than the town. Since her rebellious older sister Juli is sneaking out at all hours, so much responsibility falls on Scarlett that there’s no time for friends or extra-curricular activities. […]
I’m not quite ready to retire to a rocking chair in front of the general store, bending the ear of hapless passers-by: “Yessir, it was rough back in them early homeschoolin’ days . . .” But still, it’s fun to off-handedly mention that when I started homeschooling, way back in 1985, neither A Beka nor […]
While we are awaiting a post by Dr. Gene Veith later in the week, I thought it would be fun to ask some of our readers this question. I am a mom on the cusp of homeschooling. We’re officially starting Kindergarten in the fall with my oldest, and my mind is filled with questions….How do […]
In anticipation of our interview with Dr. Veith next week (see Emily’s anticipatory post), I intended to write some thoughts on life after homeschooling to share with the large number of our readers who are homeschoolers now. But I found myself lingering on how it looked to me then, rather than how it looks now. […]
Subscribe / Connect
- The Spiritual World of The Hobbit + Giveaway January 23, 2014
- Nurturing a young reader’s literary tastes January 9, 2014
- Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway) March 5, 2014
- Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1 March 7, 2014
- ALA Midwinter Conference Reflections January 30, 2014
- Janie: Heather: I can't explain the wording choices for ...
- John Holm: My 7-year old son has read many of the books on th...
- Marijo Taverne: Thanks for this list! Some of these books I've he...
- Shannon: Time Warp Trio :) the "I survived" series. And G...
- Carrie: My boys love Homer Price, Little Pear and Jim Fore...
- Janie on Sorting Out the Children’s Bible Market
- John Holm on Librarians’ List: Easy/Leveled Readers, part 1
- Marijo Taverne on Librarians’ List: Easy/Leveled Readers, part 1
- Shannon on Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway)
- Carrie on Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway)