Ghost stories: most of us relish that slightly spooky feeling we get when an urban legend or hair-raising tall tale is well told around a campfire. Our society seems to be erring on the side of “more is more” these days, though; instead of slightly spooky, we have shows like The Walking Dead, YA fiction has run […]
The Year of Billy Miller, by Keven Henkes. Greenwillow, 2013, 229 pages. Age/interest level: 6-8. Kevin Henkes’ name on a book jacket automatically gets attention. No wonder: not only is he equally successful at writing and illustrating, he’s one of the very few children’s writer/illustrators to win both Newbery and Caldecott medals. And probably the […]
Communism, the Cold War, and Josef Stalin have loomed large in the children’s book scene over the last year: all three Newbery books have a Cold War connection, and one of the most notable YA books of the year (nominated in more than one ALA category), is based on a true story of Soviet oppression. […]
Actually, it’s not at night, but first thing in the morning. And there are no backless evening gowns or acceptance speeches (those come later). But school and public librarians who were unable to attend the ALA’s midwinter conference, held this year in Dallas, tuned in as breathlessly as any movie-lover to the live webcast of […]
Concluding my series on this year’s Newbery medalist and honor books, with one exception: Joyce Sidman’s Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night. (So many books, so little time . . .) Click here and here for my previous Newbery reviews. One gold-medal winner and four silver medals makes a sizable roundup for this […]
Subscribe / Connect
- Easter devotional: Why Easter? March 24, 2014
- Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway) March 5, 2014
- Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Pt. 2 March 15, 2014
- Adventuring with Wilder Good, Gannon & Wyatt, and a Giveaway! March 25, 2014
- Retro Reads: Lloyd Alexander’s Chronicles of Prydain March 12, 2014
- Christina: We loved Jessica's. And I just bought Sally's ne...
- Beth: Could offer suggestions/reviews on the available a...
- Liz: I'm so glad i didn't waste my time reading it! I...
- Sara: Bullet #'s 1,2,5 & 6! I host a small group o...
- Sara: Great listing! There is another Macbeth production...