Anselm of Canterbury (Christian Biographies for Young Readers) by Simonetta Carr. Reformation Heritage Books, 2013. 64 pgs. Ages 8-up. Simonetta Carr recently published Anselm of Caterbury, the sixth in her Christian Biographies for Young Readers with Reformation Heritage books. The books fill an important niche in Christian publishing–picture books about church history. They are not […]
This week in our library month theme, Janie took us back to the 8th century in a review of Hand of Vengeance by Douglas Bond. I also interviewed both Douglas Bond and William Boekestein on their new works as well as how and why they try to bring redemptive history alive for kids. Today, I […]
It’ll be a few more weeks before we join in the Back to School rompus, but if you’re like me, you’ve been out browsing for neat school stuff already. I thought I’d share a few books that have caught my eye or bear mentioning again. Before I do, though, if you appreciate our blog and […]
Introduction A few weeks ago, I posted a written interview with Simonetta Carr on her novel for young readers, The Weight of a Flame: The Passion of Olympia Morata. Which brought up the fact that Simonetta was, like Olympia, born and raised in Italy. So as part of our series on folktales from around the […]
Simonetta Carr is one of my favorite authors writing about historical subjects today. Her care for historical detail shows in all her biographies for children, including her books on John Calvin, Augustine, and John Owen. I’ve also had the pleasure of interviewing Simonetta twice already and I always enjoy the thoughtfulness behind her work. One […]
Athanasius. By Simonetta Carr. Reformation Heritage Press, 2011. 66 pp. Ages 9-12. What makes a good children’s book? We’ve talked a lot the past few days about what doesn’t make them. But last week, I had the opportunity to interview author Simonetta Carr about her experience as a Christian writer as well as her new […]
In today’s author interview, I talk with Simonetta Carr, author of several picture book biographies for kids on church fathers including John Calvin, John Owen, and Augustine of Hippo. Her newest book on Athanasius will be out soon with Reformation Heritage Books. 1. How did you get started writing Christian biographies for kids? At first, […]
Subscribe / Connect
- Jim Weiss Audiobook Giveaway!!! November 19, 2014
- Reviewing School Book Lists, Part Four: Reading is Spiritual Warfare October 11, 2014
- Interns Needed! October 23, 2014
- Space Case by Stuart Gibbs October 1, 2014
- The Glass Sentence by S. E. Grove September 23, 2014
- Michelle S: I'm thankful for loving family and that I am able...
- Sunny: I am thankful for your website and this giveaway!...
- Sunny: Congratulations to Ann Rees and Maalachi. I enjoye...
- Debi Hackworth: Jim Weiss is an excellent story teller, we have a ...
- Carrie: Ooh! We are thankful for (1) your website, which i...