In honor of this week’s holiday, a book review post from a few years back: Sarah Gives Thanks: How Thanksgiving Became a National Holiday, by Mike Allegra, illustrated by David Gardner. Whitman, 2012, 32 pages. Age-interest level: 4-up As our story opens, Sarah Hale is gathered with her five children around the Thanksgiving table. No […]
Every holiday season brings forth a crop of shiny new picture books, and we’re on the beat. Today, two for Thanksgiving and two for Christmas–the more secular side of Christmas, but we plan to tell you about more Christ-centered ones has the season approaches. Giving Thanks: Poems, Prayers, and Praise Songs of Thanksgiving, by Katherine […]
I was sick this week, so I gave myself permission to veg on the couch watching TV, even before the kids went to bed. Surprisingly, I found something interesting to watch: Alaska, the Last Frontier. Have you seen it on the Discovery Channel? I grew up camping and spending long weeks on the farm with […]
I’m sitting in an upstairs bedroom as the smell of pumpkin pie wafts up the stairwell. Tomorrow the family will arrive, starting around noon: not just relatives, but friends and tag-alongs and people I’ve never met before who will be family for one day. Thanksgiving unites us like no other holiday. No matter what one’s […]
Last week, Janie and I had the privilege of speaking with Susan Hunt…and happily for you, we managed to tape our conversation! For those of you who don’t know her, you’re in for a treat. For years she has been a staple at women’s ministry events, (In fact, she still is! Look for her at […]
Subscribe / Connect
- 2016 Reading Challenge for Kids with Printable December 28, 2015
- Reading Aloud to Teens, Part One February 3, 2016
- Septimus Heap December 18, 2015
- One Reader’s 10 Most Memorable Books of 2015 January 18, 2016
- Newbery Buzz: Most Dangerous by Steve Sheinkin December 12, 2015
- Hayley: I agree, Cathy! He's one of my favorite narrator...
- Angela: Hi there! Was this study ever finished? It looks a...
- Dangerous Fiction |: […] they explain over and over again, are go...
- Kelley: Thank you for this post! What an encouragement to...
- Cathy: John McDonough's reading of Freddy Goes to Florid...