Every holiday season brings forth a crop of shiny new picture books, and we’re on the beat. Today, two for Thanksgiving and two for Christmas–the more secular side of Christmas, but we plan to tell you about more Christ-centered ones has the season approaches. Giving Thanks: Poems, Prayers, and Praise Songs of Thanksgiving, by Katherine […]
I was sick this week, so I gave myself permission to veg on the couch watching TV, even before the kids went to bed. Surprisingly, I found something interesting to watch: Alaska, the Last Frontier. Have you seen it on the Discovery Channel? I grew up camping and spending long weeks on the farm with […]
Sarah Gives Thanks: How Thanksgiving Became a National Holiday, by Mike Allegra, illustrated by David Gardner. Whitman, 2012, 32 pages. Age-interest level: 4-up As our story opens, Sarah Hale is gathered with her five children around the Thanksgiving table. No one looks happy, and no wonder: “They had just returned from their father’s grave and […]
I’m sitting in an upstairs bedroom as the smell of pumpkin pie wafts up the stairwell. Tomorrow the family will arrive, starting around noon: not just relatives, but friends and tag-alongs and people I’ve never met before who will be family for one day. Thanksgiving unites us like no other holiday. No matter what one’s […]
Last week, Janie and I had the privilege of speaking with Susan Hunt…and happily for you, we managed to tape our conversation! For those of you who don’t know her, you’re in for a treat. For years she has been a staple at women’s ministry events, (In fact, she still is! Look for her at […]
Subscribe / Connect
- Reviewing School Book Lists, Part Four: Reading is Spiritual Warfare October 11, 2014
- Interns Needed! **DEADLINE, AGE LIMIT EXTENDED October 23, 2014
- Interview with J. B. Cheaney & Giveaway! September 9, 2014
- Reviewing School Book Lists, Part Three: The List September 4, 2014
- House of Hades September 19, 2014
- Ann Rees Berry: The worst book I have ever read is Scarlet by A.C ...
- Amelia Brown: The worst books that I have ever read are the ones...
- Cheryl: I heartily concur with Megan's recommendation of ...
- Megan: Christians should absolutely read the Hunger Games...
- Joey E: Looks like a great book. I think I'll get it and ...