Since Susanne Collins’ Hunger Games trilogy (reviewed here) has sparked so much discussion in school cafeterias and dorm rooms (not to mention break rooms and car pools), we thought it would be worthwhile to get different points of view—particularly the young readers for whom the books were written. So we’ve invited two Christian college students […]
Once upon a time there was no such thing as YA in the publishing world. That may be because there was no such thing as teenhood. A youth began taking on adult responsibilities somewhere between the ages of 12 and 18, and adults, young and old, read the same books–either openly or furtively. (I’m old […]
(Find Part One here) Besides being uniformly grim, there are other traits the current crop of dystopian novels share: A post-apocalyptic future–the story opens after an event of universal destruction so huge that humanity has to re-organize itself along new principles, usually some variation of survival of the fittest. A young hero trapped in circumstances […]
Part One How’s this for a scenario: In the future, the USA has been divided into thirteen districts, and the most prosperous oppresses all the others. One form of oppression is the annual televised exhibition in which two teens from each district compete for fabulous prizes–the chief prize being life. Katniss, a 16-year-old poacher from […]
Subscribe / Connect
- 2014 Summer Reading Challenge…For the Whole Family May 27, 2014
- SRC, Week 1: Chitty Chitty And The Race Against Time June 16, 2014
- Parents, Teachers: How Does Your Christianity Change How and What Your Teens Read? June 26, 2014
- SRC Blue Comet: Problems and Alternate Suggestion June 22, 2014
- SRC, Week 2: Rush Revere and the First Patriots June 24, 2014
- Janie: Thanks for chiming in, Anna! I sympathize with th...
- Anna: In defense of books like these, though, I must cit...
- Summer Reading and Book News | Semicolon: […] Beach Books by Betsy at Redeemed Reader....
- Emily: Good point, George. Thanks for bringing that poin...
- Emily: So glad you found it profitable for your family, K...
- Janie on SRC Blue Comet: Problems and Alternate Suggestion
- Anna on SRC Blue Comet: Problems and Alternate Suggestion
- Summer Reading and Book News | Semicolon on Beach Books! (Librarians’ List)
- Emily on Parents, Teachers: How Does Your Christianity Change How and What Your Teens Read?
- Emily on SRC, Week 4: Time Travel Devotional