Since Susanne Collins’ Hunger Games trilogy (reviewed here) has sparked so much discussion in school cafeterias and dorm rooms (not to mention break rooms and car pools), we thought it would be worthwhile to get different points of view—particularly the young readers for whom the books were written. So we’ve invited two Christian college students […]
Once upon a time there was no such thing as YA in the publishing world. That may be because there was no such thing as teenhood. A youth began taking on adult responsibilities somewhere between the ages of 12 and 18, and adults, young and old, read the same books–either openly or furtively. (I’m old […]
(Find Part One here) Besides being uniformly grim, there are other traits the current crop of dystopian novels share: A post-apocalyptic future–the story opens after an event of universal destruction so huge that humanity has to re-organize itself along new principles, usually some variation of survival of the fittest. A young hero trapped in circumstances […]
Part One How’s this for a scenario: In the future, the USA has been divided into thirteen districts, and the most prosperous oppresses all the others. One form of oppression is the annual televised exhibition in which two teens from each district compete for fabulous prizes–the chief prize being life. Katniss, a 16-year-old poacher from […]
Subscribe / Connect
- The Spiritual World of The Hobbit + Giveaway January 23, 2014
- Nurturing a young reader’s literary tastes January 9, 2014
- Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway) March 5, 2014
- Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1 March 7, 2014
- ALA Midwinter Conference Reflections January 30, 2014
- Megan: Thank you for making the crisis personal and remin...
- Betsy: Thanks for this, Hayley! We have a good friend who...
- Hayley S.: Thank you so much for your kind comment, Miriam! ...
- Miriam Tucker: I recently attended a wedding at our church in Lou...
- DL: Ever since the Summer Reading Program, my kids hav...
- Megan on Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1
- Betsy on Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1
- Hayley S. on Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1
- Miriam Tucker on Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1
- DL on Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway)