Before I started writing The Middle of Somewhere, I did some research. Every novelist has to do some research, especially if she’s writing historical fiction (three of my published novels are historical fiction). An author has to have a sense of the lay of the land before she can determine which direction to go. And […]
How’s the road trip going? Have we arrived in Dodge City or stalled out in Pittsburg? I’ll let you in on a secret: when I’m writing a novel, I almost always stall out around the third or fourth chapter. Beginnings are easy—in fact, the beginning of this one was especially easy because I was struck […]
Our Around the World reading challenge book this week is The Middle of Somewhere, and it’s written by . . . um . . . me. If I were not me, I might be objecting right now that assigning one’s own book for a readers’ challenge is incredibly self-seeking (and actually, a small corner of […]
If you’re new to our Summer Reading Challenge, welcome! If you started our Around the World adventure last week with us, congratulations and let’s continue our journey. This week we’re taking a road trip across Middle America. The Middle of Somewhere by J. B. Cheaney. Knopf, 2007. 224 pages. Worldview Rating: 4.5; Literary Rating: 4. […]
Got any road trips planned for the summer? Traveling in a hot, breezy car with your sibling’s feet stuck in your face is such an indelible childhood experience (or used to be, in the free-range back-seat days) that every summer publishing season includes a crop of road trip stories. Here are four new (and one […]
Subscribe / Connect
- SRC, Week 1: Chitty Chitty And The Race Against Time June 16, 2014
- Parents, Teachers: How Does Your Christianity Change How and What Your Teens Read? June 26, 2014
- SRC, Week 2: Rush Revere and the First Patriots June 24, 2014
- SRC Blue Comet: Problems and Alternate Suggestion June 22, 2014
- SRC Writing/drawing contest June 30, 2014
- Emily: Thanks so much for all the insight on your experie...
- Sara: We just finished school so The Daughter (G - 13) d...
- H team: Read 3 books....We blacked out the bad language in...
- Janie: Thanks for chiming in, Anna! I sympathize with th...
- Anna: In defense of books like these, though, I must cit...