Before I started writing The Middle of Somewhere, I did some research. Every novelist has to do some research, especially if she’s writing historical fiction (three of my published novels are historical fiction). An author has to have a sense of the lay of the land before she can determine which direction to go. And […]
How’s the road trip going? Have we arrived in Dodge City or stalled out in Pittsburg? I’ll let you in on a secret: when I’m writing a novel, I almost always stall out around the third or fourth chapter. Beginnings are easy—in fact, the beginning of this one was especially easy because I was struck […]
Our Around the World reading challenge book this week is The Middle of Somewhere, and it’s written by . . . um . . . me. If I were not me, I might be objecting right now that assigning one’s own book for a readers’ challenge is incredibly self-seeking (and actually, a small corner of […]
If you’re new to our Summer Reading Challenge, welcome! If you started our Around the World adventure last week with us, congratulations and let’s continue our journey. This week we’re taking a road trip across Middle America. The Middle of Somewhere by J. B. Cheaney. Knopf, 2007. 224 pages. Worldview Rating: 4.5; Literary Rating: 4. […]
Got any road trips planned for the summer? Traveling in a hot, breezy car with your sibling’s feet stuck in your face is such an indelible childhood experience (or used to be, in the free-range back-seat days) that every summer publishing season includes a crop of road trip stories. Here are four new (and one […]
Subscribe / Connect
- Easter devotional: Why Easter? March 24, 2014
- Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway) March 5, 2014
- Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Pt. 2 March 15, 2014
- Adventuring with Wilder Good, Gannon & Wyatt, and a Giveaway! March 25, 2014
- Retro Reads: Lloyd Alexander’s Chronicles of Prydain March 12, 2014
- Hayley: Susan, I just checked with Betsy, and there is no ...
- susan bourne: What is the age limit? Is it just for kids or adul...
- Megan: Thank you so much for these, Janie!...
- Christina: We loved Jessica's. And I just bought Sally's ne...
- Beth: Could offer suggestions/reviews on the available a...