Other Lemonade and Lit posts: Introduction, Week One: Booked, Week Two: Booked Discussion, Week Three: Beauty, Week Four: Sexuality in Booked, Week Five: Beauty Discussion, Week Six: The Last Thing I Remember, Week Seven: Klavan Discussion. Lemonade and Lit: An Adult-Teen Read Along, Week 2 Last Saturday, Gina Dalfonzo of Breakpoint Youth Reads introduced our […]
Throwing Strikes: My Quest for Truth and the Perfect Knuckleball, by R. A. Dickey. Dial, 2013, 296 pages. Age/interest level: 12-16. Last year Dickey’s autobiography, Wherever I Wind Up, won fulsome praise across the reviewing spectrum, from Publishers Weekly to ESPN to WORLD Magazine. The particular qualities praised were the author’s literary style, humility, and […]
A Balanced “Book Diet” Reading is like eating: you need a variety of wholesome ingredients, a little sugar, and a little moderation across the board. Sometimes you need to chew on a steak (mull over a “deep” text), and sometimes you just need some brain candy. Most of the time, though, you need a well-balanced […]
Seventy-three years ago, on September 1, German tanks rolled across the border of Poland and the conflict that soon became known as World War II officially began. The literature is vast, even for children. The weight is vast, too, with a level of destruction and death that we find hard to imagine. War stories aren’t […]
Okay for Now, by Gary Schmidt. Clarion, 2011, 368 page. Age/interest level: 12-up Gary Schmidt’s Newbery-honor-winning The Wednesday Wars featured 13-year-old Holling Hoodhood, a child of the mid-1960s and the only Presbyterian in a private school filled with Catholics and Jews. Holling sits out Wednesday afternoons, when all the other kids are at catechism or […]
“There ain’t no room for the hopeless sinner, Who would hurt all mankind just to save his own soul. Have pity on those whose choices grow thinner, There ain’t no hiding place from the Kingdom’s throne.” —Curtis Mayfield, People Get Ready When I was in sixth grade, my English teacher was one of the kindest […]
Subscribe / Connect
- The Spiritual World of The Hobbit + Giveaway January 23, 2014
- Nurturing a young reader’s literary tastes January 9, 2014
- Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway) March 5, 2014
- Ukraine: Lessons in Liberty and Compassion, Part 1 March 7, 2014
- ALA Midwinter Conference Reflections January 30, 2014
- Betsy: Exactly, John! That's a good description of the F...
- Janie: Heather: I can't explain the wording choices for ...
- John Holm: My 7-year old son has read many of the books on th...
- Marijo Taverne: Thanks for this list! Some of these books I've he...
- Shannon: Time Warp Trio :) the "I survived" series. And G...
- Betsy on Librarians’ List: Easy/Leveled Readers, part 1
- Janie on Sorting Out the Children’s Bible Market
- John Holm on Librarians’ List: Easy/Leveled Readers, part 1
- Marijo Taverne on Librarians’ List: Easy/Leveled Readers, part 1
- Shannon on Meet Lulu and Freddie: 2 Terrific Chapter Book Characters (+ a Giveaway)